Celebrate Camp Kindness Day!
July 19th is Camp Kindness Day! It’s a day established by the American Camp Association to highlight the kindness that takes place every day at camps throughout the country. It was created in 2018 to celebrate the incredible ways camps teach kindness to kids in simple, engaging and repeatable ways that have a lasting impact on the daily lives of campers, staff and essentially everyone in their lives.
On the surface, being kind seems like a very simple concept, but the effect kindness can have on kids is immeasurable. At EDMO, we incorporate social emotional learning activities centered around kindness that help promote curiosity, empathy and confidence in kids through adulthood.
This Camp Kindness Day, kiddos at Camp EDMO will engage in kindness activities like learning how to use kind words to show support and encouragement to their friends and performing skits about showing kindness when they are met with someone who might be grumpy or bossy.
At home, you can explore quick and simple kindness activities, too!
- Write a teacher a letter of appreciation.
- Pick up litter in the neighborhood.
- Draw a picture of a Kindness Tree and hang it on the fridge. Every time you experience or do an act of kindness, write about it on a paper leaf and attach it to the tree.
- Volunteer in your community.
- Create a Kindness Calendar with a different simple act of kindness for each day and cross them off as each is completed.
How will you show kindness this Camp Kindness Day?!